Below is a list of Foods to Increase Breast Milk Supply.
Please note that though these foods help in breast milk production they aren’t effective as lactation supplements. Lactation supplements contain the natural essence which really helps in breast milk production.
We have a list of best lactation supplements that are safe and natural.
37 Foods That Increase Breast Milk Production
Here is a list of foods that increase breast milk supply naturally.
- Barley: Barley is rich in beta-glucan. This beta-glucan increase prolactin. Now prolactin is the hormone responsible for breast milk production. You can make barley bread, add it in soup and drink barley milk.
- Fenugreek (seeds & plant): Fenugreek seeds are known from ages as a lactogenic. In Asian countries, the herb is consumed as vegetables. Take the seeds soaked in water overnight or eat the herb cooked with meals. Click here to read how fenugreek increases breast milk supply.
- Fennel: Fennel seeds are an excellent choice. They not only increase milk supply in lactating women but also are used as mouth fresheners. Just toss raw seeds into your mouth and feel the aroma. You can also add them in meals. Especially those which are roasted.
- Oats: Remember the beta-glucan mentioned in barley. The same is true for Oats. It also contains beta-glucan. And it’s easy to eat oats.
- Brewer’s Yeast: This is another excellent breast milk enhancer. However, use it sparingly. Higher amount of brewer’s yeast causes gas. It can also easily pass onto infants.
- Papaya: This fruit is known to enhance breast milk supply. However, how it works is still unknown. Eating the ripened fruit is tasty. You can also eat it raw as a soup or add on to some dishes.
- Garlic: Garlic is used to increase immunity, fight heart diseases and helps lactating mothers. Consume Garlic only in moderation. Too much garlic will make your breath and milk smell pungent.
- Cumin Seeds: Cumin seeds too help with lactation. Soak them overnight in water and drink it early in the morning. Keralites drink cumin soaked water on a regular basis.
- Holy Basil: It is also known as Tulsi. Drinking it as tea daily increase milk supply and also promotes bowel movement. It also has a relaxing effect on the body.
- Green Leafy Vegetables: They are rich in iron, calcium and several other mineral sources. At least eat a cup of green leafy vegetables daily to increase your breast milk supply.
- Carrots: Rich in vitamin A are an excellent source to increase breast milk’s quality. Eat them raw or juice them. Better to eat them on empty stomach.
- Asparagus: Steam them, boil them or eat them sauteed. Asparagus is great to eat.
- Brown Rice: Recent researches show that brown rice increases the hormone responsible for lactation supplements. Moreover, it provides energy to lactating mothers.
- Dil: Popularly known as Dil Seeds is rich in magnesium. Magnesium is an important element to increase breast milk production.
- Almonds: Rich in Vitamin E. They are also known as a super nut due to fat content with its nutritional value. Even several doctors prescribe these nuts to nursing women.
- Salmon: It is rich in Omega 3 and other essential fatty acids. Eat them steamed or grilled. However, do not consume in excess. The skin contains mercury and can lead to mercury poisoning.
- Apricots: They are an excellent source for balancing hormones. Consume them while pregnant and after delivery.
- Sweet Potato: It is rich in carbohydrates, magnesium and Vitamin C. All these are responsible for better milk production in nursing mothers. Therefore, add this into your diet regularly.
- Bitter Gourd. Most hate the bitter taste of this vegetable. However, consuming this food flushes your system and promotes healthy bowel movement. This in turn relaxes and relieves your body from stress. Less stress results in higher milk production. Therefore, bitter gourd indirectly helps in increased lactation.
- Drumsticks: These are high in iron. Even the leaves are eaten as vegetables not to mention the flowers. Indians use this to prepare a type of gravy called sambar. You can try eating rice with drumsticks with sambar for added benefits.
- Curry Leaves: These are included in every Indian dish. These leaves are known to boost melanin. However, it is also recommended for lactating mothers who are looking to increase their milk production.
- Green Tea: They are rich in antioxidants. Drinking green tea daily reduces stress and increases blood circulation. Increased blood circulation also results in higher production of breast milk.
- Tofu: Apart from being a superfood it is a delicacy in Japan. It is believed that Tofu increases one’s life expectancy. Eating them daily helps increase breast milk production.
- BeetRoots: These are nutritious veggies. You can eat the root or their leaves. It contains riboflavin responsible for avoiding cancer. It is also known to purify blood and helps the infant too.
- Lentils: These tightly packed nutrients high in fiber and protein and an excellent choice for increasing breast milk. Note: Proteins are important for breast milk production.
- Water Melon: They are high in water content. Consuming watermelon keeps you well hydrated. And staying well hydrated is important for proper lactation:
- Water: Though water is not a food, hydration is vital for breast milk production. Therefore drinking ample amount of water, especially warm, helps in better lactation.
- Grapefruit: This is an excellent super food to increase breast milk production. It is rich in vitamin C and fiber, essential components for breast milk production.
- Spirulina: This is another super food. It is rich in protein. Almost 70% of spirulina contains proteins. Therefore, it is a protein-rich food. And as you known protein is essential for nursing mothers to stay healthy.
- Milk: It might seem ironic but drinking milk also increases lactation. Cow’s milk contains essential fats and these fats are responsible for better lactation in nursing moms.
- Milk Shark: It is a species of shark that Asians believe will help nursing mothers. It is usually found dried. Eat three four pieces of milk shark thrice a week. This will help in improved lactation.
- Sardines: This is another type of fish known to increase breast milk. They are also high Omega 3 which is good for your heart. As usual, keep the consumption low as it can result in mercury poisoning.
- Chick Pea: They are also known to increase breast milk. But they can also result in gas so keep consumption to moderate.
- Black Sesame Seeds: They are rich in calcium. Eat them raw or mixed with milk and honey. They are an excellent choice for lactating moms.
- Bottle Gourd: It’s a summer vegetable high in nutrition. It also helps in keeping nursing moms well hydrated. Eat them as pudding or make bottle gourd gravy as most Indians do.
- Poppy Seeds: It is vital that nursing moms relax for increased breast milk production. Poppy seeds have seductive properties and help nursing moms relieve stress. Caution: Consume only in minimal amounts.
- Lactation Supplements: Supplements are an excellent way to increase breast milk supply. However, care should be taken to choose only natural lactation supplements.
These were some foods to increase breast milk production in nursing moms. If we missed some foods then please share them in the comments sections.